Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Christmas Presents and Life

So, I've begun making Christmas presents.  I've made three hat and scarf sets so far for my sister's girls (the pictures are posted on my Crocheting page).  I'm also in the process of making a throw for my younger brother and will post a picture of that when it's finished.  Once I find out what colors John's nieces like, I'll be making them hat and scarf sets too.  I love making things for people; it makes me happy (which is something I need).

On to the topic of life....After having so many bad days this summer, I wanted to find something I could take to help my depression; something that I would be able to take even when I'm pregnant (so definitely not pills again).  St. John's Wort has been used for a long time for depression, but it isn't safe during pregnacy-so I had to rule that out.  Then I found that fish oil is supposed to help.  I talked with my friend, Liz, who is a pharmacist, and she said that would be a good thing to try.  So, I've been taking fish oil since September, and I do seem to be doing better.  It's been a few weeks since I've felt on the verge of tears on a daily basis, and I have less trouble getting up in the morning due to depressing thoughts.  Both Liz and my sister suggested I take vitamin D as well.  The multivitamin I take daily already has 1000 IUs of vitamin D, so Liz suggested I add another 500 IUs.  That's probably a good idea with winter approaching (considering how bad winter is for me normally).  She told me to look for a brand with the least amount of fillers; so that is what I shall do.  Fingers are crossed that this winter isn't too bad for me.

In other news...my one friend up here, Jackie, is having me create a cover to go over her current car seat cover.  She wants to have two on, so when the top one needs to be cleaned, she'll still be able to use the car seat.  I got the fabric cut yesterday and I should be able to get it all sewn today and tomorrow.  Then I'll just have to add velcro to the edges of both covers so the top one will stay in place but be easy to remove for washing.  I'll post before and after images when it's completed.  Like I said, I like making things for people, and the outdoor cushions I reupholstered for her this summer turned out pretty good.  It'd be much easier doing upholstery projects if I actually had room to work, but I'll make do for now setting up in front of the couch with a folding table I have.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're doing better- i know this was a while ago but i hope you still are. When I was pregnant my doctors perscribed 5000 iu of Vitamin D! I don't know if that's relevant at all but something to note. I didn't end up taking it so it had nothing to do with my miscarriage but still...something to note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks. I do still seem to be doing better. I'm not taking fish oil anymore, but when I went for my annual exam and talked to my doctor, she suggested I try a B Complex Vitamin. So I'm taking that as well as 400 iu of Vitamin D. We'll see how it works out.

      Delete