Monday, June 3, 2013

Macque Choux (really yummy corn dish)

When my husband was in Louisiana for a Powerlifting meet, he had a version of this side dish and asked me to find a recipe so I could make it.  So, I scoured the internet for recipes and found one that sounded similar to what he had eaten...and I've been fixing it ever since!  It is fantastic!  It's got a little bit of a kick, which we both like, and it's even good as a leftover.  So, here's the recipe:

Macque Choux

2 1/2 cups corn
2 Tbsp. butter, divided
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 small onion, minced
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg, lightly beaten

In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter with the oil.  Add corn, onion, sugar, garlic, and cayenne pepper.  Cook until corn is almost tender and starts to form a crust on bottom of pan*.  Gradually stir in broth, scraping up bits on bottom of pan.  Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the cream.  Cook until almost all the liquid evaporates; stir frequently.  Remove skillet from heat.  Add beaten egg; stir one minute or until egg is cooked.

Note: Feel free to substitute the small onion for dried minced onion (I use about 1/4 cup) or even onion powder (about 2 teaspoons), whatever you have on hand.

*The crust is only likely to occur if you use a cast iron skillet.  If you use a non-stick or stainless steel skillet (like I do), you won't get a crust on the bottom.  Don't worry, it's just as good without it! :)

I make this every year for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and just about any other time we want corn, and we aren't using corn-on-the-cob.  I hope you enjoy this as much as my husband and I!!  Let me know how it turns out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment