Monday, June 24, 2013

Pallet Coffee Table

My first pallet project was to make a coffee table for our living room.  To do that, I started with one of the nice pallets I got.  I pried off two 1"x1"s that were on the edges of the top of the pallet.  Then I used my hubby's belt sander and the 80 grit belt that was already on it to sand the top, sides, and even bottom a bit.  I mainly just got rid of any pieces sticking out.  We had some One Step Stain and Polyurethane in  "Golden Pecan".  I covered the top and sides with a total of 3 coats of that (sanding in between coats with 220 grit sandpaper).  Then, I covered just the top with a single coat of some Spar Urethane we had lying around.

For the legs, I had my hubby use the circular saw to cut off the ends of 2 of my other nicer pallets.  I screwed them together then to the top.  It was important to me to be able to move the table around easily in our living room (since it's really small with very limited space); so, I went to Home Depot and bought 2-2 packs of 2" wheel casters for about $12.  Using a 5/16" drill bit, I drilled a hole in each corner for the casters and screwed them in.

Here are some pictures of the process:

The pallet before anything was done to it.
 
 After being sanded...
 
 Finished with the final coat!
 
The pallet ends my hubby cut for me.
 
 Screwed in the legs...
 
And the finished product!
 
I must admit, I'm happy with how the coffee table turned out.  It fits quite well in the room, it's mobile, and we can use the ends as little shelves; oh, and it's not heavy. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment