Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Past Year

Well, a lot has happened in the past year.  I got work from my former employer after her business burned down (complete loss of the church within which she had her interior design business and showroom).  She hired me as an independent contractor at first to help with the business start up with computers, printers, getting re-organized and helping with the insurance claim.  She rented a new space, and I was able to help her get set-up with all the business things.  At the beginning of this year, she hired me as a regular employee and I worked there until the end of June.  She was disappointed to see me go, but my hubby and I are in the process of moving!

We found an older two-story farm house on ten acres only about a 1/4 of a mile from Lake Michigan in a nice, small community.  It was surprisingly cheap and only about an hour from my sister's family and an hour and a half from my parent's house, so it seemed perfect!  We've been slowly moving in since we closed on the house at the end of January.  It's be difficult since my hubby had to quit working at the paper mill and went back to work in the plumbers and pipefitters' union.  It's kept us from being down there officially yet, but we're awfully close and the anticipation is killing me! :)

DH has been laid off the job he was on and patiently awaiting the next job (which will probably be in North Dakota).  In the mean time, we've been able to get mostly moved out of our current home, he's working on fixing a few things, and I need him to put in a laundry hook-up in the new house.  Apparently, the late wife of the previous homeowner worked at the Laundromat, so they didn't need laundry in the house (and they used a clothesline for drying).  They also managed to raise five kids in the house!  It's twice as big as our (tiny) current house, but still not that big.  We're planning for some big chances including the bedroom downstairs being turned into a bathroom/laundry room, the current (tiny) bathroom will be a pantry for the kitchen, and we want to build an addition off the one side of the house.  Lots to do, but very exciting.  The house was built in the '30s, but it's very solid and came with a 24' x 36' garage!

So, lots happening and I'll make sure to post more updates!  I'll also be posting pictures of the new house and the remodeling as it happens.  I just need to find work in our new town now...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment